WHY YOU NEED TO UNPLUG
I hit a wall last week. A metaphorical wall, but, none the less — A WALL.
We push, we drive, we work, we connect, we give, we serve, we plan, we strategize, we burn out.
Yep, that’s what happened last week to me. I know, such is the life of an entrepreneur, but it doesn’t have to be like that as often as I find myself and my clients experiencing.
I had just finished a big few weeks of travel, writing, teaching and client work. I created the demanding schedule. I loved every minute of it and it still took its toll on me.
Do you ever get to that point?
So, I made a date with the couch. I binge watched NCIS, snuggled with my dog and unplugged my brain.
Here’s what happened:
- I felt guilty, at first. It’s hard to stop working. I felt like I was failing myself.
- I was tempted to grab my iPad and multitask. I could unplug and work at the same time, right? Yeah, we really do think about it like that…don’t we, fellow entrepreneurs?
- I thought of all of the other more productive things I ‘should’ be doing. Organizing the junk drawer, going through files, that all seemed like a good thing to do. But it wasn’t unplugging.
- I got sleepy. When I finally stopped mentally searching for something to do, I got really sleepy. Why? Because my brain realized it could actually stop. When that happened, I was really ready to unplug.
The Day After
Granted, 24 hours wasn’t a long time. It was long enough for me to press reset and that was invaluable. Here are the benefits I noticed from just 24 hours:
- I felt more alert
- I was more focused
- I was happier
- I had more energy
- I was more engaged with my clients
- I was clear on the best next steps for my current projects
Did I solve the world’s greatest problems? No. But I did solve a few of mine. If you are constantly on, you lose a little bit of yourself and over time, a lot. Regain a piece of yourself by unplugging. It worked for me.
Error: No connected account.
Please go to the Instagram Feed settings page to connect an account.
Lisa Bollow | Business Strategist
I help clarify the journey of being an entrepreneur for over-achieving, passionate, creative business owners. I want to remove the overwhelm of building a business with simple, step-by-step programs, systems and support.